Monday, November 18, 2013

The Best Laid Plans

David praised the Lord in the presence of the whole assembly, saying, "Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is Yours.  Yours, O Lord is the kingdom; You are exalted as head over all.  Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise Your glorious Name."  1 Chronicles 29:11, 13

These are the last recorded words of King David before he died.  David's lifelong dream was to build a temple for Israel, a religious center for his beloved nation, a place for all to come together in unity to worship.  This prayer comes on the heels of David presenting the building materials and the very detailed plans for how to build it.  But David's plans were not God's plans.

God's plan was for David's son, Solomon, to be the one with "built the first temple" added to his resume.

As I was reading this passage my only thought was, "How is David able to praise God right now?"  He's the one who spent years gathering wood and precious metals.  He's the one who gave out of his own personal fortune.  He's the one who advertised and built momentum and got everyone on board.  And all for naught - because he died before the first stone was laid.

And yet He praised God.

He so easily could've swung on the side of jealousy.  Which would lead to disappointment and bitterness.  His dream was stripped from him and given to another. He had every right to be deeply hurt by God.

How fragile we humans are.  One split-second thought can change the entire trajectory of our lives.  One negative thought can turn into a pattern.  The pattern can take root and grow into a tree of bitterness and sin. How easily David could've turned hurt into jealousy, jealousy into bitterness, and bitterness into a lonely end to a beautifully full life.

As I was reading and writing about this something struck me.  Solomon's greatest accomplishment as recorded on his resume (the Bible) is the construction of the temple.

What is David known for?  "But God removed Saul and replaced him with David, a man about whom God said, 'I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.'"  Acts 13:22

In earthly terms. David missed out.  But you know what?  The temple was eventually destroyed.  And then rebuilt.  And then destroyed again.  But David's legacy is one that lives forever.  A man sold out for God.  A man full of mistakes and also full of abundant forgiveness and grace.  A man who danced and sang when he could have wallowed in bitterness.  A man who obeyed "everything I want him to do." A man who was able to acknowledge there was One who was greater than he.

God, when I am disappointed by life, by unfulfilled dreams, by thwarted plans - remind me that the fulfillment of my plan is not the end goal.  You are my goal.  Praising You is my goal.  Reflecting You in all I do is my goal.  I would rather be known for my love for You can for anything I could build with my hands.  

Now, our God, we give You thanks, and praise Your glorious Name!


No comments:

Post a Comment